Saturday 8 October 2011

Eszter Burghardt - Edible Vistas & Wooly Sagas




Eszter Burghardt - Edible Vistas

These amazing macro photographs are by Canadian-Hungarian artist Eszter Burghardt who sculpts these incredible miniature landscapes to reflect the isolated atmospheric beauty of Iceland where she has completed several artist residencies. Working from memory she uses Icelandic wool for Wooly Sagas and kitchen ingredients for Edible Vistas.

I love them. When I first saw 'Edible Vistas' I thought they were real photo's of Iceland, when in reality they were made from things like chocolate cake, cocoa powder and milk. I love the use of poppy seeds to capture the feeling and texture of dense grey-black volcanic rubble. With Wooly Sagas it is easier to see that they are made from wool, but this doesn't detract from the way she has captured the scenes, and in particular the feeling of intense heat from Volcanic activity.




Eszter Burghardt - Wooly Sagas

They make my tilt shift garden photo's look utterly amateur but rather than be put off I'll strive to do better because they are always great fun to work on. It's another one of those activities that takes me back to childhood, being under the covers in bed and using the folds of the fabric to imagine snowy landscapes, mountains, caves and other worlds. Eszter's landscapes inspire me to keep playing.

4 comments:

Skartandi said...

...beautiful - nice to see these works of Eszter Burghardt. Thanks for positing her work! I hadn't heard of her, but hopefully she will come back to us here far north ... would love to see here exhibition then - Greetings from Iceland :) // Rannveig

Cally said...

Ooh, I've never had a comment from Iceland before, lovely to hear from you, and Greetings to you from Scotland too.

scottweberpdx said...

Those are amazing...I literally did a double-take!

The Sage Butterfly said...

That is so creative! I can see the icelandic terrain and the food...amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...