Monday 22 October 2007

My work: papercuts 1991


Papercut in typing paper, 1991


Papercut in parchment and tracing papers, 1991

What I love about these is the way that different papers allow different levels of light to filter through. The more translucent they are the more subtle and interesting the effect of multiple layers. The one I showed yesterday was cartridge paper, it's lack of translucency means it works better for making crisper shadows and for working in 3 dimensions. Plus it can handle stitching, when I find them I'll post the cut and stitched works.

It's funny, as I post these I'm starting to see why the printed textiles department were getting annoyed with me, no colour, no fabric and no print. But hey, you can't dictate the way creativity will take you, and they were going to be used as part of a lighting installation with accompanying stitched and printed fabrics.

Must stop typing, I've got 4 people's pets today and I'm not very mobile so it's taking ages to get them all fed, walked, groomed, nursed and loved. One is my Uncle's dog, I have him a week while my parents and brother are on holiday. I thought it's work out great cause he and Lucy could exhaust each other, but yesterday Lucy developed a foot infection with a big sore, so she's not allowed to run around or get mucky. Such a shame. The cat seems to think he is Lucy and so has been very tolerant of him, a big relief.


11 comments:

Susan Schwake said...

oh my goodness, finally! i can post a comment to you dear cally.
love these and poo on the fabrics dept. teehee. you found your own path. these are truly lovely!
don't let the pooches wear you down!

Gina said...

thats amazing! i really like it a lot. its si light & airy.

lisa solomon said...

oh cally.
i'm so happy to see these....

could i get some images of your work to show my students??????? :) pretty please

Ursula Achten said...

What I love about all of these is the process...the constant work on the theme and the development of so many different aspects and facets..
One thing my work is totally missing at the moment...Foggy times!

Anonymous said...

These are stunning Cally, the lights and shadows in them are amazing. The top one reminds me of an eggshell, so delicate. They must have taken ages to do, so happy that you're sharing more of your work here.

Anonymous said...

so beautiful...

Christine Clemmensen said...

These are soooo beautiful. I love how the light and the paper creates the illusion of multiple layers and dimensions. Great work:)

paula said...

Hi.
I like this blog very much, nice paper cuts! I will look more... Glad that I find it.
Keep up the good work!
//Paula.

Marjojo said...

I’m having a sleepless night and thought I’d return the favour of a late-night visit. Those papercuts (typing paper, parchment and tracing papers) are just beautiful, the layering and bending of the sheets gives the impression of huge kind of utopian spaces, a bit outerworldly/otherworldly, there’s something pure here, ideal, to do with the light/illumination, and the whiteness. But also something about cells, the kind wasps or termites build (do they?). Anyway, beautiful. Do you have any energy at all at the moment to work on some new art, even the tiniest project? You’ve shown such interesting work made under difficult circumstances at college, and I so hope that you are making something now too and that you’ll post it here some day.

Unknown said...

Funny that you mentioned the textiles....I thought of screen printing when I first saw them...white on white, shadows on the fabric.

Anonymous said...

your papercuts are amazing - love the light!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...