Thursday 6 March 2008

Mobile Swap 2008 - recycled



Mobile: reused/recycled paper & card, thread, sequins 2008

I had to feel like I made something this year, so I signed up for Elsie Marley's Mobile Swap. Now that I my swap partner Paola has seen her mobile I'm happy to post it here (above) along with the matching paper brooch (below). Paola had listed white and grey as her favourite colours. The mobile and the brooch are both made from my enormous stash of paper scraps and envelopes. Poor Mr P couldn't see his floor for a week while I worked on this.

It drove me crazy at times because when my joints and coordination are normal I could do this in a couple of hours. Taking a whole week was frustrating, but it' was so good to finally have a finished item. Ok, maybe it's not as detailed as I'd like, no stitching, no internal cutting, no drawing... but it was a complete. I started, finished, photographed, flickr'd (here), wrapped, packed, posted it and then cleared up the mountain of debris. In my life just now that's all very close to a miracle so I was pretty happy in the end.



Brooch: reused paper & card, sequin, silver plated brooch pin 2008

My theory was that if I was making something for a stranger, and not for a special occasion, then maybe I wouldn't get performance anxiety. I was wrong, but the anxiety was decidedly less than when making things for friends so I didn't totally freak out when I made mistakes or when the cat, repeatedly, walked over sections with muddy paws. If I'd cut anything intricate the cat may have had a very different experience!

11 comments:

deedeen said...

Wow, this is beautiful! I love it, it's like a gentle spring rain, really amazing, congratulations!

Esti said...

What a beautiful and delicate piece!

Ursula Achten said...

Delicate, that's the right word, fragility is the part of your personality, that shines through.
Cally, you doing this and how it turns out both is wonderful!

miss milki said...

I know how you feel...so well done! Its great to achieve something! Its really really lovely. No need to be anxious at all, I think your swap partner will love it!

Amanda said...

Well done cally, it's really lovely.
Just wanted to let you know that I have tagged you. You can read all about it on my blog. If you don't want to follow up that's fine.
Best Wishes!

marie-louise said...

It is so exciting with intermixed materials. And I like a lot gray and white.

Anonymous said...

Well done you, missus, for making anything at all let alone something this GORGEOUS. xl

Andrea Tachezy said...

Cally, it is wonderful! I would like to be your mobile swap partner :-)

lisa solomon said...

cally - it's gorgeous.

you should post it on sew green :)
xo

amisha said...

this is absolutely gorgeous cally. i love all the colors and patterns. xo

painted fish studio said...

the brooch is beautiful! and i still really love the mobile you created.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...