Wednesday 12 April 2006

Living The Good Life

Growing up in the 70's I adored 'The Good Life'.



I loved everything about it, the tune, the eggs at the start, Margo and Jerry next door, the animals, the bartering, the home made wines, clothes and Christmas decorations. Nothing makes me happier than to turn on the TV and find there is a repeat on and I know it was part of what made me the veg growing skip raider I am today.

For anyone in the UK wanting a new green read about a real life suburban family having a go then look no further than Anna's blog. She has cleverly managed to get the UK publishing rights to the Australian book 'Living The Good Life', the real life story of their 6 month experiment into growing their own, spending no money and generally doing a Tom and Barbara.

Anna heard about it from Claire's excellent review of March 9th on her Loobylu blog, well worth reading.

Nearly forgot to say the family have their own website here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Cally, just had to take a quick peek before dinner, I do recognize these people, yes, we have had their shows here in the states! What fun, would be a kick to see them again... Good night...

Anonymous said...

'Living the Good Life' is a great book (I am nearly finished), if only I could live half my life sustainably then I would feel way less guilty...

Happy 100th blog, keep up the linkin' Im likin' it!!

Robin said...

I really enjoyed Living the Good Life when it played on PBS here in BC, Canada. Lots of laughs! Thanks for reminding me of the show.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved this too! I can't wait to rewatch it on DVD. cheers, gracia

Anonymous said...

I loved The Good Life too (btw called Good Neighbors in the US, I believe).

My favourite episode was The Windbreak War. I laughed like a drain on a BA flight to Boston when I watched this (Arthur Bailey was a workman hired to install a windbreak in the garden):

Margo: Mr Bailey, will you come here a moment?
Arthur Bailey: I won't be a minute Mrs Leadbetter.
Margo: That is correct. You will be ten seconds.
Margo: Did you, or did you not see a pale blue envelope cellotaped to the handle of your pick-axe this morning?
Arthur Bailey: Yes, I did.
Margo: And what was written on that envelope?
Arthur Bailey: N.B.
Margo: Well?
Arthur Bailey: Well, I'm not N. Bailey. I'm Arthur Bailey. A.B.
Margo: You stupid man!
Arthur Bailey: You can't talk to me like that.
Margo: I can, because I pay your wages, and get off my carpet. For your information Mr. Bailey, N.B. means Nota Bene.
Arthur Bailey: Who?
Margo: It's Latin.
Arthur Bailey: Oh. Well, I come from Balham.
Margo: Very well. The fact that you come from Balham probably does excuse your ignorance of even elementary Latin. It does not excuse ignoring a written instruction which is sellotaped to the handle of your pick-axe.
Arthur Bailey: Written instructions are for white collar workers. I'm manual.
Margo: I see. So unless a sign reads: "Keep off the grass, Mr. Bailey, and all other manual workers", you ignore it, do you?
Arthur Bailey: I didn't mean that.
Margo: Well, what do you mean Mr. Bailey?
Arthur Bailey: I mean it's up now. It's a fait accompli.
Margo: Oh, so we know French in Balham, but no Latin?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...