Sunday 23 April 2006

Vintage needle case

Some of the most beautiful things I own belonged to my Great Aunt who was a generous giver of threads and haberdashery items which she no longer needed. When she died I inherited her other sewing things including this beautiful very frayed and faded needle case...



I love the frayed eges so much and the tiny clear beads along the side. And yes, even the faded colour, in fact, especially the faded colour. There are the faintest remains of floral painting on the outside front cover. The scale is about the same as a pack of cards.



Ok, I really must go to bed now, it's after 8am.

9 comments:

S Cooper said...

What a beautiful needle case, it looks very special.

S Cooper said...

WOW, just spent full inspiring 50 minutes browsing your fab posts and other Blogs you link to. I will come back! Stumbled on you after searching All Blogs for 'Needle case' as my little girl had just finished sewing one and was so proud of it (will blog it later on hitchinartgroupjunior.blogspot.com). Aren't Blogs Brilliant?

Anonymous said...

A beautiful needle case - I have a thing for them after finding a tiny little one in an antique store. Then mum found one I made at school years ago - it is very bad! Maybe should post about these some time.

But you have a gorgeous treasure to remember your aunt by.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's VERY special. You're right. Everything about it - the colour, the faded pattern, the tiny glass beads - is perfect.

Pxx

Susan Schwake said...

this is such a stunning piece. thanks for the photos to show. as always, i love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! this is breathtaking! I love the freyed edges too, and the poetic painting on the front.

I think I was extra excited when we chatted about millinery last week, as I knew this class was coming up. (I actually signed up for it in January, as it fills fast) Cally if you ever find the opportunity to take hat-making, Do It! It was so much fun! I can't wait to play around with fun shapes...

Did you find anything to use for your paper mache bowls???

Cally said...

Incase I don't get time to reply to you all, thanks for your comments, it's nice to give the needlecase a public airing after so long in boxes.

(I resisited the paper mache urge as I know it will distract me from fixing hte house)

IMEDAGOZE said...

that's a piece of treasure... lovely needle case.

Lena said...

This is so beautiful...a treasure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...