Friday 22 June 2007

Summer Solstice





Took my camera (and my teapot) round my neighbouring gardens in a rare dry moment last week to remind myself what June looks like outside. It's been so cloudy for so long we didn't see the top of the hill for 2 weeks and haven't had any long light nights so I was completely surprised that it was the summer solstice last night.

The sun came out yesterday for a good few hours, showing the hill top at last, and in a rush of excitement and madness I went back to the degree show. I really wanted Mr P to see someone's work that I will be blogging about at the weekend. It was his last day of teaching (college holidays) so we decided to finally go to Bell's Diner for the meal that I couldn't go to cause I was ill on his birthday in May. Actually it turns out he still has quite a bit of work to do, but he's been working flat out for months now getting through the bulk of it that a meal out was still deserved and needed.

On the way there we popped into Habitat to get a tealight holder for his room (out of stock, shame) only to discover a full party atmosphere, crowds of people, DJ, drinks and nibbles. I felt like I was on holiday somewhere. It was so nice, especially as I've not been in town much this year at all.

In typical Cally fashion I was to be found UNDER one of the tables (sober, and I got permission 1st) dragging out all the skinny red Pimms & Lemonade cans from the bin and filling a Habitat bag with them. Hate to see perfectly good materials going to waste and it's so rare that I get cans with red on them as I don't buy a lot of fizzy drinks, except occasionally Purdeys or Good Earth Sparkling Elderflower, love them on a hot day sitting in long grass in a field.

Actually, I had a long grass moment in a field today when I took Lucy out at lunchtime. I took a dizzy turn and fell over, but it all seemed very slow motion and I was quite happy finding myself lying on the grass in the mist (the sun hadn't broken through yet) listening to the skylarks and other birds while Lucy happily snuffled around and ate grass. All the grasses had flowered the previous day during another burst of sun so they were with heavy with muted pink and orange pollen laden tops which sent out little burst of pollen mist each time a fly landed or Lucy's tail brushed by.

Ok, more bed required, I've ridiculously overdone it today and yesterday, but I do so much love to see the shows.

10 comments:

Feltbug said...

What a lovely day ! Do you know what will you use the tins for ?

deedeen said...

Beautiful pictures. Wow, I wish the sun could come out here too... Rain and storms, I'm sick of it...

Cally said...

Feltbug
Yes, the tins have many destinations in mind, mainly jewellery and small mixed media collage and sculptures. I'm not making hte pieces themselves but I still gather and cut all the materials regularly so I'll be ready to go when the house is finished. I'll have a look in my boxes for a photo of some older pieces.

Deedeen
Today we pay the price of the 5hrs of sun yesterday. Not only can we not see the hill, we can't even see the trees on the other side of the road. Thick mist everywhere, again. We are supposed to get some proper sun next week.

Susan Schwake said...

what a beautiful day! good for you with dragging out the tins... will be patient to see what you will create with them.

Marjojo said...

How great that you made it to that degree show! Getting to events like these is worth the tired glory of ME-aftermath as they stick with you and nourish you for long. And thanks for introducing Sebastian Buescher's jewelry, beautiful and slightly disquieting. I'll check out his blog.

thisisnaive said...

The last photo is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Joy! pure Joy! You are a 'high light' in the dark. Your images and words, like pools of light, brighten up these rainy days.
Thank you.

Cally said...

Marjojo
You are so right

LNH
Thanks, they are tiny papery flower with soft downey silvery leaves

Bettina
What a lovely thing to say, thank you.

Anonymous said...

hi Cally! these are such beautiful pictures, and what a lovely grass moment you have there. i'm also excited to see what you will be doing with the tin cans. you're so good at spotting little treasures! :).

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful photographs, so happy you were able to enjoy a meal, party atmosphere and music. Can't wait to see more of your art.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...